There has been a history of significant vehicle accidents at the intersection of Highway 60 and Highway Y in Ozaukee County. According to the State of Wisconsin Department of Transportation (“DOT”), the accidents occur when vehicles on Highway Y attempt to cross Highway 60 in front of oncoming traffic. In response, officials from the Ozaukee County Board and the Town of Cedarburg have passed resolutions asking the DOT to rebuild the intersection ahead of the current schedule, which calls for the rebuilding to begin in 2020. Town of Cedarburg officials are asking for a one-lane roundabout, rather than a traditional intersection. While the DOT acknowledges the problems at the intersection, there is no indication that work on the intersection will begin sooner than currently planned.
The Wisconsin automobile accident attorneys of Samster, Konkel & Safran seek to prevent vehicle accidents. Here are some safety tips for driving through roundabout intersections:
- Slow down as you approach the roundabout;
- Watch for pedestrians in the crosswalk;
- Yield to traffic already in the roundabout;
- Enter the roundabout when there is a gap in traffic;
- Stay in your lane in the roundabout;
- Do not stop in the roundabout; and
- Avoid driving next to large vehicles in the roundabout.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a vehicle accident, contact us for a free online case evaluation.