Milwaukee Bicycle Accident Lawyer
The Personal Injury Attorneys at Samster Konkel & Safran Can Help
Generally, drivers must share the road with bicyclists in the same way as they do with other cars. When a driver hits a bike rider as a result of not following these rules of the road, the victim may file a legal claim against the driver. If the driver breached his or her duty of care to the bicycle rider or pedestrian, the injured and his or her family may be entitled to damages.
The success of a negligence claim and/or the amount of recoverable damages, however, depends on whether the biker was abiding by the rules of the road. If he or she was not acting in a reasonable and prudent manner in respect to his or her own safety, contributory negligence may be assessed against the rider. For this reason, it is important that bicycle and pedestrian accident victims speak to an experienced Milwaukee personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
Major Causes of Bicycle Accidents
- There are several primary causes of bicycle accidents, including:
- Wrong way bicycle riding – Drivers do not expect to see any type of vehicle — car or bicycle — approaching them from the opposite direction. To avoid a possible collision with oncoming cars, ride your bike on the right side of the road, with the flow of traffic.
- Left turn by a cyclist – Before making a left turn, you should check your surroundings for potentially dangerous traffic. If you swerve or make a sudden left turn, other drivers may not be able to avoid crashing into you. You should always use hand signals and ride in an expected manner.
- Ignoring traffic signals and signs – You should always remember that bicycles are vehicles too. As a result, always obey traffic laws and traffic signals. Never ride your bicycle through a stop sign or yield sign.
- Vehicle overtaking cyclist: – This type of auto accident occurs when the driver of a car or truck fails to spot a bicyclist until it is too late, and typically occurs in the evening. Be sure to wear reflective gear when riding at night.
Please note the statutes of limitation may bar recovery of damages if legal action is taken after the statutorily prescribed time period. Call the Milwaukee personal injury lawyers of Samster Konkel & Safran now for a free case evaluation.
We have more than 10 decades of collective experience and have protected the rights of Milwaukee’s injured for more than 40 years. We want to help you secure the compensation you need after experiencing an accident. Call us at (414) 404-5818 and tell us about your unique case!